We recognize that most people don’t look forward to visiting their local hospital or emergency room, especially given the COVID-19 pandemic. Nothing is more important to us than your health, and we are doing everything we can to ensure patients, their families and our communities stay safe. To that end, a number of stringent safeguards have been implemented at UF Health Central Florida facilities in Leesburg and The Villages®, including but not limited to:
- All hospital staff will continue to adhere to best practice public health guidelines as set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Florida Department of Health, including mandatory masking, enhanced hand hygiene and physical distancing.
- All patients scheduled for elective procedures will be pre-screened for COVID-19 in advance, using the rapid in-house testing capabilities currently available at the hospital.
- All patients and visitors will continue to be medically screened, including forehead digital temperature checks, at hospital entrances upon arrival.
- A total of six new ultraviolet, or UV, light disinfecting robots (three at each hospital) have recently been deployed at UF Health Central Florida hospitals to provide an extra measure of safety. These UV light-emitting robots do not replace routine regular cleaning of surfaces with disinfecting cleaning agents, but the medical literature shows that when these robots are added to normal cleaning between patients that over 99 percent of all bacteria and viruses, including COVID-19, are eliminated from all surfaces upon exposure to these lights.
- UF Health Central Florida facilities will restrict visitors to only one per patient to decrease the chances of inadvertent spread of COVID-19 from the community back into the hospital.
- Visitors and staff will be required to wear masks at all times while in the hospital.